Q1. Security Arrangements
- The JDB (Joint Defence Board) shall deploy a new JIU (Joint Integrated Unit) within a maximum or 10 days from the date of adoption of these resolutions by the Presidency; the new JIUs battalion shall be constituted from new elements other than those elements of the former Abyei JIUs battalion.
- Police shall be deployed in the area after consultation between the National Minister of Interior and Minister of Internal Affairs of the Government of Southern Sudan within two weeks from the date of adoption of these resolutions.
- UNMIS force in Abyei area shall have free movement and access to the north and south of Abyei area to carry out its mandate as specified in the CPA (Comprehensive Peace Agreement).
- With the deployment of the new JIU battalion and police force in the area and resumption of their duties, SAF and SPLA troops shall be redeployed beyond the Abyei administrative area.
Q2. Return of IDPs
- The civil population shall return to their former homesteads on completion of the above mentioned security arrangements, which are expected to finish before the end of June 2008.
- The Government of National Unity shall take all arrangement for availing the resources for the return programme of the civil population and with the involvement of the relevant international agencies and organizations, which shall be implemented through the Abyei Area Administration.
Q3. Interim Arrangements for Abyei Administration
Without prejudice to the outcome of arbitration, the Parties agree on the following:
- The Presidency shall set up Abyei Area Administration as per the provisions of the CPA within two weeks from the date of the adoption of these resolutions.
- The administration of Abyei Area shall be accorded special administrative status and perform its functions as per the provisions of the Abyei Protocol.
- The Presidency shall appoint Chief Administrator as nominee of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement and Deputy Chief Administrator as nominee of the National Congress Party from among the residents of Abyei area as per provisions of the CPA. The Parties shall observe in their nominations considerations of amity, reconciliation and accord.
- The Chief Administrator, in consultation with Deputy Chief Administrator, shall make recommendations to the Presidency for the appointment of the heads of departments and members of Abyei Area Council from among the residents of Abyei area as per the provisions of the CPA.
- The President to avail the necessary funds to the Abyei Area Administration for delivery of basic services and running of administration in accordance with the provisions of the CPA.
- The Presidency shall initiate the peace and reconciliation in the area in collaboration with the administration of the area and the surrounding communities.
- The presidency shall work at making Abyei area a model of national reconciliation and peace building.
- Without prejudice to the wealth sharing formula agreed upon in the CPA and pending the final demarcation of the Abyei area in accordance with the arbitration award and subject to its outcome, the oil revenue from the oilfields in the areas under arbitration shall be allocated in accordance with the wealth sharing arrangements in Abyei Protocol.
- The Government of National Unity and Government of Southern Sudan shall contribute fifty percent and twenty-five percent respectively from their oil revenue share from oilfields in the areas under arbitration to a fund to be established by the Presidency for the development of the areas along the North-South border and financing the joint projects presented to the Third Sudan Consortium in Oslo, Norway, May 2008.
Q4. Arrangements for Final Settlement
Without prejudice to the position of either party on the findings of the Abyei Boundaries Commission Report, the Parties agree on the following:
- The two parties shall resort to a professional and specialized arbitration tribunal to be agreed upon by the Parties to settle their dispute over the finding of the Abyei Boundaries Commission.
- The two parties shall work out the terms of reference (compromis) for the arbitration which shall include nomination of professional arbitration tribunal, selection process of the arbitrators, referred issues for decision by the arbitrators, referred issues for decision by the arbitration, procedure of arbitration, decision making process and the enforcement of the award of the arbitration tribunal.
- The parties commit themselves to abide by and implement the award of the arbitration tribunal.
- The entire arbitration process including the issuance of the final award shall be done within a period not exceeding six months from the date of the formation of the arbitration tribunal, and subject to an extension for a period not exceeding three months.
- In case the two Parties failed within one month to reach agreement on the arbitration tribunal or compromis or other terms of reference and rules of procedure for the arbitral process, the Secretary-General of the permanent Court of Arbitration, the Hague, shall, within 15 days, designate an institution and finalize the rules of procedures and terms of reference in accordance with the PCA Rules and applicable international practices.